Engineer the Future
February 23-25, 2017
Inspire your students to explore a career in engineering as they engage in hands-on activities, interact with professionals in the field, and check out presentations at more than 40 event tables. On Thursday and Friday, students are invited to Career Café, a fast-paced introduction to engineering careers in an informal setting. They can check out dazzling demos, enjoy café-style beverages, and chat with industry professionals. Limited capacity. Pre-registration is required.
Activities include opportunities to:
- Make superballs with the American Institute of Chemical Engineers.
- Design a zipline that will carry a ping-pong ball from the top of a zipline string to the bottom in four seconds or less.
- Team up with the US Army Corps of Engineers to build a clay boat capable of carrying as much weight as possible, then put it to the test by floating it in a bowl of water and filling it with pennies.
- Explore how water moves through materials such as gravel, sand, and clay through demonstrations with Civil & Environmental Consultants, Inc. Which material will slow the water the most?
- Discover how UV light works with hands-on activities from Carnegie Mellon University’s Department of Chemical Engineering.
- Watch a 3D Printer at work with Fab Lab Carnegie Science Center.
- Check out the fascinating science of robots with the FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) Robotics Team.
- Explore the science of natural gas discovery and extraction with EQT.
- Operate a circuit board display to explore electrical engineering with Hatch.
- Check out HDR's "The Crusher," a working display that demonstrates the use and importance of piers on a multi-span bridge. The model demonstrates the amount of deflection of a "bridge deck" with piers vs. without piers.
- For a few dollars more, journey around the world to experience amazing feats of engineering in Dream Big at Rangos Omnimax Theater.
Thursday, Feb. 23, 9 am – 3 pm
Friday, Feb. 24, 9 am – 3 pm – Limited availability for field trips
Saturday, Feb. 25, 10 am – 3 pm
Powered by EQT Foundation
Reserve your spot today! Call 412.237.3400, then press 7.